Sunday

The more you know...

When you're looking at a map of Bali, planning a potential visit, it's hard to get a good idea of the landscape and potential sightseeing. I had a hard time finding maps that were detailed enough to help me understand what kind of landscape and conditions I'd be facing in different areas. There are some very good blogs about areas like Mt. Batur, Kuta, or the elephant park, but nothing really gives you a complete picture. For example I had hard time finding enough information about Ubud to plan my time there. I'd have loved to go on a bird walk, but it was hard to get details until it was too late to book. If I'd had a third week, I'd have spent at least a part of it at Bali's National Park, not just for the birds and scenery, but because that's where some of the best underwater scenery is too.

When you do go to Bali, keep in mind that, like so many great destinations, it's impossible to take it all in in one visit. You'll find yourself wishing you had more time, more background and more information. There are so many localities that are worth a week in themselves, that it's hard to feel you've really gotten to know the place before it's already time to leave. You can imagine that my enthusiasm for this beautiful island has not waned a bit, and I'll be back for more one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment